[GRLUG] 32bit vs. 64bit [Was: Random questions]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jul 27 08:03:08 EDT 2012

> > If you're using framework-heavy code like browsers, KDE or GNOME,
> > those extra registers are helpful.
> Seems like switching makes sense
> then.  I assume enough people use
> the 64-bit versions now for them to
> be as well debugged as the 32-bit?

Absolutely yes;  I'd say the 'mainstream' [whatever that is] has moved
on to 64-bit.  At the last conference I went to there was an *informal*
poll of 32-bit vs. 64-bit and there were only a few 32-bitters left.

I'd approximate that about 3 years ago [late 2009] everything on 64-bit
just-worked.  Any remaining bugs have been shaken out of any package
that has an active maintainer.