[GRLUG] WINE and Elder Scrolls

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Jul 20 19:21:09 EDT 2012

My son is dying to play Skyrim.  (Yes, it's that important; death looms
unless and until he can play it.)  I've installed Steam and Skyrim via
WINE and even the trial version of Codeweavers.  The game appears to
install correctly.  There is an error message/warning about not having
DRI enabled, though a `glxinfo | grep rendering' shows it is.
Everything appears to work until I try to launch the game.  Every time I
get a SkyrimLauncher.exe error.

Anyone here have any tips for getting this to work?  I've found lots of
tips for other problems but none for this exact error.

On a related note, what's up with Steam?  Why are so many games
installed through another application like that?  Bleh.

BTW, my son appears to be in stable condition at the moment, though that
could change.  It's dicey.  :-)
--
john-thomas
------