[GRLUG] Raspbmc help-Changing date

Andrew Hekman ajhekman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:26:08 EDT 2012

If your router keeps accurate time, you can grab the current time from the HTTP headers with netcat.

aj at Compaq:~$ nc 192.168.1.1 80
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.1

HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:33:58 GMT
[..snip..]

so you could run this at startup or via cron:

sudo date -s "`printf "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n" | nc -n -i 1 192.168.1.1 80 | grep Date | sed 's/Date:\ //'`"

-AJ