[GRLUG] Update on rebooting linux server

Collin Kidder collink at kkmfg.com
Thu Jul 19 09:20:20 EDT 2012

I believe that I finally found the problem I had been having with the
server. After striking out with the UPS and power supply guesses I took
the server offline and then took it all apart. There were some areas on
the motherboard and power supply board where dust had accumulated and
previous attempts to blow the machine out with air had not been able to
get into these areas. Reassembling and powering on has given me an
uptime of 5.97 days so far. This actually sort of makes sense because
this server is located in a building where metal fabrication takes place
so the content of our dust is very likely to contain a bit of metal
particulate.