[GRLUG] GRLUG Raspberry Pi SOCIAL Tomorrow July 18 @ The Warehouse

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:18:17 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, megadave wrote:
>
>> Blocked unless your carrier enables it.
>>
> Au contrare, .. just root your phone and Viola'! You will be rooting it
> anyway, ..

Rooting doesnt let you enable tethering. And rooting is NOT required
for my method.

>> Most charge an extra fee to do so.
>>
> Only if you use their service, which is dumb for a single device.

Cell carriers want to charge you an extra fee to use your cellphones
cellular Internet connection from your laptop. If you arent using
their service, then "tethering" isn't what you are doing.

> If you get one of the little wireless modems, however, it can be worth the
> price; the traffic shaping is horrible on a ssh connection! It will drop
> you about ever five minutes.

I have experienced no such problems.

>> Some refuse to do it at all.
>>
> The best provider is Sprint anyway - unlimited data. Get it and be
> grandfathered while you can.

Perhaps, but they will still charge extra to "enable" the tethering
option that will allow you to use your cell Internet from your laptop
or other device. And their network lags behind others in coverage.

In any case, I know what works for me and my budget, and am happy to
share my solution with anyone that is interested. If you have a
different solution that works for you, by all means continue to do so.