[GRLUG] Old isa motherboard & linux

Cprossu cprossu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 10:28:04 EDT 2012

>From the sounds of it I'd say we need to know exact hardware to continue. a
286 'made into a 486' could mean anything from a sane upgrade (swapping out
the motherboard) to an insane upgrade (like the intel inboard 386 I have
for one of my IBM 5150 PC's which uses the original motherboard and is
incompatible with darn near everything). If you are unable to get us a
model number or brand of the motherboard, see if you can snap a pic of the
motherboard. Depending on the era of 486 if it was indeed a motherboard
swap, there's a slim possibility it could have pci slots.  If you can find
out nothing else, find out if it's using 72pin or 30pin memory. The kernel
you end up using will be highly memory dependent..