[GRLUG] random loss of local keyboard

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Jul 5 17:07:33 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 04:34:05PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >> Semi-related. Do you have power management configured? I.e. CPU
> >> underclocked when not in use, GPU underclocked when not in use, that
> >> kind of thing? If not, that would probably be a good idea for now.
> >
> > Yes; I just checked the logs again and saw this:
> >
> > Jul  5 15:59:52 auerbach mcelog: Processor 7 heated above trip temperature. Throttling enabled.
> > Jul  5 15:59:52 auerbach mcelog: Please check your system cooling. Performance will be impacted
[snip]
> > Jul  5 15:59:52 auerbach mcelog: Processor 5 below trip temperature. Throttling disabled
[snip]
> > (I just installed mcelog in response to your suggestion.)
>
> Set your CPU governer to "conservative" or even "powersave" until the
> heat wave passes. You've got eight cores, you'll be fine. :)

It's currently on "ondemand"; I almost never see it running at full
speed (2.2GHz) but most often at either 800MHz or 1.3GHz.  Now to find
out how to change from ondemand to conservative...

> Similarly, find out if your GPU has power settings you can tweak downward.

That's running at Adaptive mode.  Curiously, I'm not running any video
or graphically demandings apps (an xterm, Chromium, and the nVidia app)
and it keeps jumped up to the highest performance level.  Not sure
why.
--
john-thomas
------