[GRLUG] Rebooting linux server

Collin Kidder collink at kkmfg.com
Tue Jul 3 08:24:21 EDT 2012

I have a server running Debian 6.0.5. It likes to reboot at random. I
get uptimes which range between about 8 hours and 8 days. There doesn't
appear to be much rhyme or reason for this. The server is a ProLiant
DL380 G3 and I do have redundant power supplies installed. I've tried
looking at the logs but of course anything which happened too close to
the time of the reboot seems to have not passed from cache to disk
before the sudden reboot so all I see are normal log entries, a gap,
and then messages as processes start up upon reboot. I think there might
be reason to suspect some sort of hardware failure but the machine
doesn't seem to be indicating to me that anything failed.

I'm not exactly a server administration wizard so what should I be
looking for to try to figure this out?