[GRLUG] Gige Switch suggestions

Kevin McCarthy signals42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:24:18 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Casey DuBois <casey at grlug.org> wrote:

> I'm needing to replace a NOISY Cisco Switch and a wimpy 10/100 hub with
> something better.
>
> I'm thinking 16-port Gig E unmanaged switch but am looking for suggestions
> from the group.
> Rackmount would be a plus but here's the one I am currently looking at: HP
> 1410-16G Switch (J9560A)

That looks like a fine switch, but I have no experience with it, so I
really can't say for sure.

I've got a 16-port 10/100/1000 switch from Trendnet that's been running my
home network for the last couple of years. Looks to be about the same specs
as that HP, but it is much cheaper:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156293

You certainly can't go wrong with an HP switch, but I have nothing bad to
say about the Trendnet. It's been sitting in a rack running without any
attention from me since I got it and it works fine.

-Kevin