[GRLUG] crontab not running a working script

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Jan 12 17:57:08 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:47:07AM -0500, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> I sync my box to memotoo.com's service.  Works from the commandline with
> `syncevolution memotoo'.  The password is in the config files so when I
> enter the above command, it syncs, then I'm back to a command prompt.  I
> can take that command and put it in a simple bash script:
>
>         #!/bin/bash
>         syncevolution memotoo
>

> It works as expected; no further input is needed.  However, when I put
> that script into my crontab, I get this error message:
>
>         Enter password for memotoo: [ERROR] error code from
>         SyncEvolution fatal error (local, status 10500): could not read
>         password for memotoo
>
>         Synchronization failed, see
>         /home/jtr/.cache/syncevolution/memotoo-2012-01-12-11-38/syncevolution-log.html
>         for details.
>
> The error log simply repeats that it could not read the password.
>
> My scripting skills are limited; am I missing something?  If it works
> from a commandline should it not also work from cron?

It appears I have enough of an answer, even though it doesn't solve this
particular problem.

According to Patrick Ohly (the man behind the entire syncevolution
project) syncevolution doesn't like being run from cron, due to the
difficulties involved in setting the right environment.  Instead, it is
recommended to run it in 'autosync' mode.  This is *incredibly*
non-intuitive.  One must run the sync-ui frontend and then check the box
"automatic sync".  This enables syncevolution to run every 30 minutes.
(Oh, my.  I *hope* that's configurable somewhere; it's not in
sync-ui...).  Somehow this is supposed to survive a reboot.  I'm going
to do this now and verify that syncevo-dbus-server is running again.

Thanks, everyone.  Your questions and answers helped me find the answer,
such that it is.
--
john-thomas
------