[GRLUG] crontab not running a working script

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:04:17 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM, John-Thomas Richards
<jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> I sync my box to memotoo.com's service.  Works from the commandline with
> `syncevolution memotoo'.  The password is in the config files so when I
> enter the above command, it syncs, then I'm back to a command prompt.  I
> can take that command and put it in a simple bash script:
>
>        #!/bin/bash
>        syncevolution memotoo
>

> It works as expected; no further input is needed.  However, when I put
> that script into my crontab, I get this error message:
>
>        Enter password for memotoo: [ERROR] error code from
>        SyncEvolution fatal error (local, status 10500): could not read
>        password for memotoo
>
>        Synchronization failed, see
>        /home/jtr/.cache/syncevolution/memotoo-2012-01-12-11-38/syncevolution-log.html
>        for details.
>
> The error log simply repeats that it could not read the password.
>
> My scripting skills are limited; am I missing something?  If it works
> from a commandline should it not also work from cron?

Cron uses different paths than a normal user. To avoid problems with
this you should specify the full path to all executables and files in
a cron job. You'll likely have to tell the program exactly where the
config file is located.

--
 Ben Rousch
   brousch at gmail.com