[GRLUG] gedit crash problem

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jan 9 06:46:05 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-08 at 17:56 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-01-08 at 13:56 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 23:11 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote
> > >  Snippets is still
> > > checked--so somehow Fedora Add-Remove Software is not completely wiping
> > > gedit stuff. Is there some config file I should change or delete to try
> > > to totally clean out old gedit settings? (Would that help anything?)
> > Adding removing packages never touches user configuration; that is a
> > feature.   I believe gedit still uses GConf [vs. the new DConf] so if
> > you use gconf-editor and delete the /apps/gedit-2 key (or its content)
> > and then start gedit you will probably go back to a default
> > configuration.
> > If the Fedora gedit has been ported to DConf then use dconf-editor to do
> > the same thing.
> I installed dconf-editor, but it shows no key for gedit.

Ok, so run gconf-editor and it will be there.

DConf is the configuration system replacing GConf.  Not everything has
migrated yet.  Fedora is bleeding edge so I thought the gedit there
might have already moved over.  Most GNOME stuff is rapidly moving from
the old GConf to the newer DConf.  Until everything is moved you need to
look in one and then the other [if it isn't in the first; always check
DConf first as old settings may linger (ignored) in GConf once the
application moves to DConf].