[GRLUG] multiple login on Mac

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Jan 8 12:14:50 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-08 at 11:19 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Robar Philip <philip.robar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 7, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
> >> Probably wouldn't be true today, and X is open, but there’d
> >> still be the bandwidth issue for many remote users.
> > Today, bandwidth is a non-issue for the X Window System*. One of the major
> advantages of X11 is that it doesn't ship around bits. It’s a client/server
> system. You run a graphics server locally and the remote client just sends
> you drawing instructions—no bits. Back in the day I accessed remote clients
> over a modem to work from home. It was a tolerable experience.
> Indeed; for display, it's great, but it's getting to the point where
> we really need it bundled with things like printing, audio and local
> disk access.

LTSP provides all those and has for a long time; at least since I used
it.  Audio for the LTSP stations worked perfectly, even then;  now with
Pulse Audio and related systems network-transparency is much better
integrated than before.   Printing has never been a problem.  With IPP
browsing/broadcast that is also more seamless.

LTSP supports removable media such as CD/DVD/USB-thumbdrive.  But I
never had any need for that so don't know how well [or even how] it
works.