[GRLUG] IPv6 presentation

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:07:30 EST 2012

Heya folks. I've got a somewhat-hands-on IPv6 presentation and
demonstration I'll be doing in Detroit next week Saturday. I figure
I'll give the GRLUG a "beta" version of the presentation next week
Wednesday at the Social. Here's my planned format:

What I hope/would like to do is follow this format:
1) Set up a local network such that those with sufficient knowledge
already can connect and pursue poking it on their own.

2) While those folks are pursuing and poking the connectivity and their
devices' support, I can talk more about theory.

I expect to touch on a wide range of topics, and at each step, I'll try
to find out how familiar people already are with the specifics, and skip
anything that'll be redundant for those present. I'll be happy to follow
up in-person or on the discuss@ list for anything left unclear to some
folks.

Off the top of my head, I think the sequence will look like:
1) OSI layers. Briefly, talking about the data link, network and
transport layers. Just enough to be able to point to where IPv4 and IPv6
sit on them, and to be able to reference how IPv4 and IPv6 interact with
them later. MAC addresses are going to be the most significant piece, here.

2) IP and ICMP. What an IP address is, how the address space is
distributed (CIDR), how IP addresses are obtained (ARP, DHCP), and how
routing works. Touch on IPv4 first, contrast with IPv6. (Notably, RAs
may replace or complement DHCP, and ARP is dropped in favor of neighbor
discovery)

At this point, we might talk about a few different things, depending on
where interest lies.

* Connectivity options. Native IPv6 and transition mechanisms, including
proxies, tunnels, Teredo and 6to4.
* Dual stack. You don't have to use just IPv4 or just IPv6; you can (and
probably should) use both at the same time.
* DNS. What DNS is and does, and how it differs between IPv4 and IPv6.
(Mostly, A vs AAAA records, and the format of PTR records)
* Software and hardware compatibility. Some hardware won't work. Some
software is buggy. Some software will never work.
* Protocol compatibility. Protocols which are aware of network addresses
(particularly, brokered peer-to-peer protocols such as SIP and
bittorrent) face additional hurdles.