[GRLUG] permission denied: apache group

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Jan 7 15:53:35 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 15:42 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 15:25 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 15:18 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > > I've got my WordPress files on localhost owned by apache (seemed to be
> > > the only way I could get WP to do automatic updates). Permissions set to
> > > 775.
> > > I've made myself a member of the apache group (confirmed that). But I
> > > get 'permission denied' when I try to create a new subdirectory in a WP
> > > directory (both from command line and from Nautilus).
> > > Is there something about apache that's blocking this? Or am I missing
> > > something else?
> Not having trouble with permissions etc in general.
> > Do you have anything like SELinux or AppArmour enabled?
> SELinux disabled, as far as I know.
> > Do you have nscd running on the box?  [did you restart nscd after the
> > change of group membership]
> > I think not. When I tried nscd -help I was prompted if I wanted to install it.
> > If you run "id" in that session/terminal do you see yourself as a member
> > of the group?
> > id => "uid=500(eric) gid=500(eric) groups=500(eric)"

Then it won't work; since you aren't yet a member.

Do a "service nscd restart", see if it shows up then.  NSCD [the
name-service-cache-daemon] cache's lookups into NSS [which
includes /etc/group, /etc/passwd amoung others].  So sometimes changes
are not apparently immediately as you get the cached response.
Generally nscd is a deal-with-the-devil IMO and unless you are using a
network naming service [NIS/LDAP/etc...] or have a large /etc/passwd
file - disable it.

Otherwise membership for the effective user of a process [your bash or
gnome-terminal whatever] is inherited from its parent.  So logging off
and back on might be necessary if you can't get identity to reload any
other way.

> > If you run "bash --login" and then try again does it work?
> Nope.
> Do I need to reboot to change group membership? Or restart apache to
> join that group?

NO REBOOT.  But exiting and signing back on should fix it.  It won't
work till "id" says you are a member of the group.