[GRLUG] multiple login on Mac

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 14:07:39 EST 2012

Re single use and display, the original
notion of multiple users was that each
user would have an ASCII terminal, of,
say, the adm3 ilk.  Displays of the kind
common today did not exist.  This
somewhat explains the back and forth
on central servers and, later, things like
workstations, which were expensive early
examples of today's PC with a fab display.
With workstations the idea was central
backup - the servers were usually no
more powerful than the workstations hanging
off them.  And of course DEC had multi-user
systems 35 years ago too.

I suspect today's balance of user hardware
versus central server is tipped totally in
the direction of the user.  It's simple
economics.  in general, one uses the central
server for backup, and as a repository for
programs to be downloaded and used on a
client.  25 to 30 users on the typical server
today would probably eat it alive.

"This is a bit of an overgeneralization, but generally true."

I'll repeat that Unix was multi-user from
the beginning.  It's essentially part of the
process approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multix

Multix was a precursor which never gelled,
but it did generate a lot of the concepts of
a multi-user system.  Thompson and Ritchie
then went off and did it right.

As for Mac OS 11, I suppose one could look and
see whether the classic multi-user support software
is still somewhere - e.g., adduser, deluser,
etc. The things in /usr/sbin on Ubuntu 11.10.
If it's been stripped out for some
reason, it's possibly just  to discourage use, or
to sell you another package which puts it back.
It's all been done before.

    -- Bob