[GRLUG] Android apps

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jan 2 20:22:47 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 10:21 -0500, Roberto Villarreal wrote:
> On Monday, January 02, 2012 08:28:54 am Kyle wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for Android apps for a rooted device that:
> > - LibreOffice Writer-ish app

There is a very good viewer for LibreOffice files; the "OpenOffice
Document Reader".

> > - Drawing apps (both raster and vector)
> > - C/C++ app similar to RFO BASIC above (or the old OnboardC for Palm OS)
> > - Pascal app similar to RFO BASIC above (or the old "PP" Palm Pascal
> > compiler)
> > - Forth app similar to RFO BASIC above
> > - BrainF*** app similar to RFO BASIC above
> > - 6502 Assembly app (something like http://6502asm.com/ but offline
> > would be awesome)
> > - Apple ][ emulator (Found one but the permissions are locked down so
> > that although it's open-source, nobody can see it.  I still own an Apple
> > //e and have access to both DOS 3.3 and ProDOS to use with it, so an
> > open source emulator without those would be fine)
> > - Task killer app (yeah, I know these aren't recommended anymore, but I
> > like my machines to only be running the things I want them currently
> > running, desktop, laptop, and phone included)
> K9Mail: By far my #1 used app; beats the stock mail app by a landslide or six

+1 And it's Open Source, for real.
<http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/>

> Connecbot: Probably #3 used app; only tricky part is having to RTFM and google
> carefully to figure out exactly how to use 'special' characters (i.e CTRL
> sequences) on your device.  It is a ROYAL pain to use screen or emacs, but
> that's not really surprising.  Easy or difficulty of use is very hardware
> specific, but It's been a lifesaver app.

Ditto.  I use Connectbot, but only when necessary. It is often *faster*
to find a WiFi hot-spot and boot-up the laptop than the thrash about
with Connectbot.