[GRLUG] Android apps

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 08:28:54 EST 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions for Android apps for a rooted device that:

- Are open-source, and
- Are downloadable as APKs for devices without Android Market, and
- Work on Eclair

Initially, I've found the following to be pretty decent:

https://code.google.com/p/adw-launcher-android/

https://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/

http://laughton.com/basic/

http://code.google.com/p/mathdoku/

http://code.google.com/p/osmand/

http://chris.boyle.name/projects/android-puzzles

http://code.google.com/p/shortyz/

https://github.com/jackpal/Android-Terminal-Emulator

Have not thoroughly tested these yet but I plan to soon:

http://beem-project.com/

https://code.google.com/p/connectbot/

http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/perfectviewer/

PythonForAndroid from
https://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

The following do not seem to work correctly on my device:

http://fdroid.org/

http://code.google.com/p/kanji-flashcards-android/

Wishlist:

- Battery gauge widget compatible with LauncherPro
- WiFi on/off widget
- LibreOffice Writer-ish app
- Drawing apps (both raster and vector)
- C/C++ app similar to RFO BASIC above (or the old OnboardC for Palm OS)
- Pascal app similar to RFO BASIC above (or the old "PP" Palm Pascal
compiler)
- Forth app similar to RFO BASIC above
- BrainF*** app similar to RFO BASIC above
- 6502 Assembly app (something like http://6502asm.com/ but offline
would be awesome)
- Apple ][ emulator (Found one but the permissions are locked down so
that although it's open-source, nobody can see it.  I still own an Apple
//e and have access to both DOS 3.3 and ProDOS to use with it, so an
open source emulator without those would be fine)
- Task killer app (yeah, I know these aren't recommended anymore, but I
like my machines to only be running the things I want them currently
running, desktop, laptop, and phone included)

- Kyle