[GRLUG] Finding the bandwidth hog

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:43:38 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been tasked to find out what running on our network that is
>> taking a good chunk of our internet bandwidth.  Quite simply I don't
>> know where to start.  I've got all the people that stream music to
>> stop, and we are still seeing a lot of traffic.  Will wireshark help
>> out?  What other programs are out there?  I do have a cisco pix
>> firewall that perhaps I could use, if I knew how.
>
> What kind of router are you currently using? If it's a Linux box, I'd
> suggest trying 'iftop'. Unless your version of iftop has the IPv6
> patches, though, it'll only show you IPv4 flows.

We have a couple HP Procurves.  I don't believe that they are managed,
at least I have never gone in there and managed anything.  Do I sound
like a newbie?  I'm not a young pup, I just don't know anything.

Thank you for your help.  it took a while, but it seems that our
streaming users plus our reporting tool are causing the spikes.  Once
we stopped our streaming usage and when a meeting got out(they were
using the reporting tool)  we dropped down to a manageable trickle.  I
really hate to have to tell our users that they can't stream.  We have
some diehard Pandora fans, and I believe that music can help the work
environment.

Share and Enjoy
Ben