[GRLUG] Finding the bandwidth hog

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Feb 7 14:11:26 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 14:08 -0500, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> I've been tasked to find out what running on our network that is
> taking a good chunk of our internet bandwidth.  Quite simply I don't
> know where to start.  I've got all the people that stream music to
> stop, and we are still seeing a lot of traffic.  Will wireshark help
> out?  What other programs are out there?  I do have a cisco pix
> firewall that perhaps I could use, if I knew how.

Configure a port on your switch to mirror the traffic of all the other
ports.

Connect that port to a fast workstation/laptop.

Start wireshark listening to that interface.

Wait awhile.

Stop capture.

Do Statistics -> Endpoints.  That will tell you where to at least start
looking.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>