[GRLUG] Partition Backup

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sat Dec 29 08:54:27 EST 2012

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, Steven Scherbinski wrote:

> Are you trying to backup/restore the partition itself or the partition
> table?  You could clone the whole disk with dd, or you could
> backup/restore the partition table with fdisk.  If it is a mountable
> file system, just restore files with tar or zip.

A partition and MBR, actually; the entire idea is to provide a 'procedure'
that our guys can use to copy or restore a disk for an embedded system.

The main problem is that Clonezilla is pretty locked into simple
operations; partimage pretty much does what we need, but it has requires a
stand-alone boot.

What we need is to something in XFCE, where there is a nice file manager
to see the backups for a given project.

> Or maybe I'm not understanding the question, which since I haven't had
> much coffee yet, is entirely possible.

Make sense? I tried frmanage (<?>from Google Code), which SEEMED promising
until I found out it does not work (it kept thinking the destination file
was a block device, sheesh).

	Lee