[GRLUG] wifi on my laptop

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Mon Aug 20 17:23:05 EDT 2012

A while back I posted that I was having some issues with wifi on my
laptop ONLY in my office.  It's all better now, but I'm not sure why,
here's the story:

I lived with it for a while, and then one day right after it finally
connected it disconnected right away.  That was annoying and I lived in
windows for the day.

Then it did the disconnect thing at home as well, and I knew something
bad was happening.  I was using wicd at the time.

Arch has a pretty decent wifi management system that I never set up
because it came on the scene after I was already using wicd.

I decided to give it another shot and it worked great at home.  As soon
as I got someplace that was using WPA though, it started complaining
about WPA errors.  I re-installed my WPA stuff and everything magically
started working.

This morning at work my machine saw all my networks right away and I
jumped right on.

I'm not sure why that worked, but there we are.