[GRLUG] X forwading question

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 22:47:58 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> I have used X forwarding many times conneting to a remote machine, .. so,
> what the heck, I thought I'd try it worked over a reverse tunnel (i.e. ssh
> to a machine that has a reverse tunnel to a 3rd machine).
>
> Connection successful; Firefox launches (apparently from the 3rd machine,
> as there IS no firefox on the machine 'in the middle'), OK so far..
>
> Now, here's the weird part: Firefox WORKS just fine, but it is aparently
> using the *network* on that *local* machine! In addition, if I disconnet
> the link used to launch Firefox, Firefox STILL RUNS!
>
> Never seen this behavior in a point-to-point connection, but I would
> expect it to not work at all in this situation, not run, apparently, on
> the LOCAL machine.
>
> Is there any explanation for this behavior? Any thoughts on how to get it
> working?

So, you have three machines, A, B and C. You're on A, you ssh to B to
run Firefox on C? It's not really clear. Could you give an example
series of ssh commands on each of the machines to do what you're
describing?

My question would be, how are you verifying that Firefox's HTTP
requests are coming out of the machine the X server is running on? (I
take it that's the behavior you're seeing.)