[GRLUG] hardware specs help

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Apr 30 08:22:35 EDT 2012

LUG,

I am probably going to order a laptop today.  I have a question
regarding specs / performance.  I have my choice narrowed down to two
manufacturers.  The laptops have nearly identical specs with two notable
exceptions.  They are:

Laptop 1                        Laptop 2
Core i3 2350M 2.3GHz            Core i5 2450M 2.50GHz
nVidia 540M 1GB                 Intel High Definition Graphics
$1,097                          $923

The only experience is have with Intel graphics is several years ago
when it was merely passable.  Is the Core i3/nVidia combo worth $174
over the Core i5/Intel HD combo?

Both laptops come with Linux preinstalled.  If I go with the nVidia
system, I would run the binary drivers.
--
john-thomas
------