[GRLUG] gui on a server

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Fri Apr 6 16:04:20 EDT 2012

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Michael Mol wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How does one install a gui like say xfce on a ubuntu server so that X
>> does not start automatically?  I like the ease of use that
>> xubuntu-desktop afford, but this is on a low power server that is
>> already running a lot of stuff.  I'd like to be able to run startx if
>> I want to get the gui, but have it all out of memory when I don't want
>> it.
>
> Most straightforward approach would be to not install a display
> manager like xdm, kdm, gdm or slim.
>
> Apart from that...Not certain. I don't know recall how one enables or
> disables upstart services.

When *I* was a kid (early 20's) the gui was started at a runlevel.
Runlevel3 was the command line, runlevel5 got you the gui.  Startx
actually changed the runlevel.

I would google for how to run ubuntu without a gui, then install xfce and
then uninstall the startup manager if they make you have one.