[GRLUG] RAID levels

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:42:44 EDT 2011

On Sep 30, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Mike Williams wrote:

> Last night at The Warehouse we had a fairly involved discussion about the various RAID levels.

Hopefully someone brought up the RAID 5 Write Hole problem:

http://blogs.oracle.com/bonwick/entry/raid_z

You don’t mention how large the drives being used are, but for terabyte and larger drives the chances of a RAID 5 array experiencing a fatal error, with an accompanying loss of all data, during a rebuild are uncomfortably high:

Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009               http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162?tag=nl.e622
Sorry about your broken RAID 5                    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/sorry-about-your-broken-raid-5/164
RAIDfail: Don't use RAID 5 on small arrays http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/raidfail-dont-use-raid-5-on-small-arrays/483

Phil