[GRLUG] Please no more "NOT LINUX" on this *off-topic* topic [Was: NOT LINUX]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Sep 30 14:15:27 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 12:03 -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> Nothing against any of you, you are all more knowledgeable than I, but
> I say whats the damage?  I don't particularly watch the politics, but
> I just ignore the threads I don't want to read.  Gmail makes this easy
> with "mute"(others should have this feature as well) but I don't even
> go that far, I usually open skim then archive.  if it a thread I don't
> even want to skim, I just archive.  No harm no foul.

This is a simple civility and netiquette issue.  The technology is
irrelevant.

Forums have topics or at least a focus.  Stay near it ... or go
somewhere with the topic you are interested in.  Using a forum to
expound for your pulpit is an inappropriate use of the forum - unless
the forum is mypulpit@

> I kinda have to agree with Bob on this.  Why tamp down ANY discussion,
> when it is easy to just ignore or mute it.  You might create an
> environment where newbies are afraid to ask a question.

This has nothing to do with newbies-asking-questions.  An un-managed
forum is the most inhospitable place of all.  Nothing will drive the
most qualified participants away more effectively that broad sweeping
generalized discussions with little bearing on the topic/focus.

Why even have subject oriented forums?

If I have to filter a forum - I just leave.