[GRLUG] GRLUG site

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 12:33:14 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Godwin <godwin at grandrapids-lug.org> wrote:
> Greets all,
>
> Allow me to add some detail.   I have a dedicated cloud server for
> GRLUG which is where I host/manage the mailing list.   There really is
> no problem with its continued use.  Though I am not opposed to moving
> the list - if consensus is reached - we really have no need to do so.
> I will continue to have the server space with 99.9% update (as per
> their SLA) dedicated for GRLUG use.

Godwin, thank you for your commitment to the mailing list all of these
years. It's a thankless job, but you've always handled issues quickly
and without drama. All of us in the Grand Rapids Linux community owe
you a debt for keeping the list running.

> Our site, however, could use some tender loving care.  I briefly
> discussed this with Casey while at GRRCON the other day and suggested
> we open up discussion on the topic.

It definitely needs some help. The single biggest problem I've found
with any user group's web site is finding someone competent who has
the _time_ and _drive_ to own the project. There will be a lot of talk
about features desired for the site and what technologies should be
used to build it, but that is all meaningless without a person willing
to do it. Even more than the mailing list, it is a thankless job. The
web site will never be finished - there will always be new features
and better designs suggested by the users. It is a big responsibility,
and the people most capable of handling it (seasoned web devs), are
all swamped with paid work.

>  I think it best for us, as a LUG,
> to attempt to strengthen our structure and elect officials.  One
> position needed is Webmaster for the aforementioned site.   I know
> Casey, Ben, Mike (and others) are greatly responsible for keeping us
> alive - for which you have my thanks.  Just thought I'd throw that in
> there...  :-)

I actually kind of like the community-run nature of GRLUG. I think
it's actually the lack of elected officials which has allowed the
group to keep on chugging even after the great old ones (as I call
them) stepped aside or moved on to other things.

> As our sysadmin, I am perfectly willing to setup whatever
> environment/tools necessary for a webmaster to work his/her magic on
> our site - on our dedicated server.  I've bared the (minimal) expense
> of our domain/server/site since day one and have no problem continuing
> to do so.

Thank you once again. I, for one, had no idea for a long time who was
actually handling that stuff.

> So, if the current arrangement for our mailing list works for most,
> lets table that issue and engage in conversation regarding our site
> and LUG structure.  Thanks to all.
>
> G-
>
> P.S.  No, this isn't my Jerry Maguire "manifesto"...   :-)
>
> --
> Ubber::Geek
> http://grlug.org/

> believed to be clean.