[GRLUG] Backing up MySQL

scott.tanner at comcast.net scott.tanner at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 16:23:20 EDT 2011

From: "L. V. Lammert" <lvl at omnitec.net>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 6:13:28 PM
Subject: Re: [GRLUG] Backing up MySQL

At 05:07 PM 9/23/2011, you wrote:
>>I've read in the high-performance mysql book that dumping / loading
>>CSV files are faster. But in general, backing up at the
>>file-system level is a lot quicker.
>>
>>If the DB resides on top of LVM, you can use the lv tools to make a
>>snapshot and copy the files from there. I can tar/gz a 40 GB DB in
>>about two hours ( 5 x 15K RPM SCSI disks though).

>Conicidentally, I just ran across mylvmbackup - seems to be a Perl
>script to do just what you describe:
>
>http://www.lenzg.net/mylvmbackup/

That looks great. Under the sources section of the site, they have some links to some how-to's as well.

>>We use replication slaves heavily, backing up the DB and the
>>replication logs just in case we need to roll-back a big
>>mistake! Makes restoring easy too - just untar over the old
>>directory and start mysql - no need to setup a blank DB and bring in
>>user permissions. Michael, I can send you my backup script if
>>your interested.

>I would be very grateful, ..

> Thanks!
> Lee

My backup script is mostly geared towards handling replication during the backup process, and doesn't use LVM snapshots ( hence I addressed that offer to Michael, as he mentioned using replication). If your still interested though, I'll be happy to send over the script. Just no comments on my crude perl-scripting ability!

Regards,
Scot t