[GRLUG] LISA Data Storage Day - Latest Trends in Storage Networking - Davenport University - 9/21

scott.tanner at comcast.net scott.tanner at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 14:58:55 EDT 2011

Sadly, there was no mention of using cybernetic brain implants for future data storage... ;)

Overall it was pretty good, the presenters (Cambridge Computer) know their stuff and had good stories to share. It was a bit rushed at times, so some details were washed over and could have been expanded on to finer detail. I personally liked the short presentation on object storage - reminds me of GoogleFS or Hardoop being implemented at the storage level.

Also had a good overview on SSD.

Nothing on the new switched-SAS interconnect though (alternative to FC or ISCSI) - I spoke with Cambridge today and they don't have any experience with it yet.

Finally, they made a push for membership in SAGE and USENIX - which I strongly recommend!

Regards,
Scott