[GRLUG] Backing up MySQL

scott.tanner at comcast.net scott.tanner at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 18:07:40 EDT 2011

I've read in the high-performance mysql book that dumping / loading CSV files are faster. But in general, backing up at the file-system level is a lot quicker.

If the DB resides on top of LVM, you can use the lv tools to make a snapshot and copy the files from there. I can tar/gz a 40 GB DB in about two hours ( 5 x 15K RPM SCSI disks though).

We use replication slaves heavily, backing up the DB and the replication logs just in case we need to roll-back a big mistake! Makes restoring easy too - just untar over the old directory and start mysql - no need to setup a blank DB and bring in user permissions. Michael, I can send you my backup script if your interested.

Regards,
Scott