[GRLUG] Backing up MySQL

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:35:18 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> At 04:00 PM 9/23/2011, you wrote:
>
>> "mysqlhotcopy" is the one I've heard the most about.
>
> Interesting, .. looks like it's even there!
>
> Any thought as to why it would be better than mysqldump? Seems like both
> work through the standard mysql client, . .

My (vague, unsophisticated) understanding is that mysqlhotcopy makes a
copy of the raw data files. I'll note that I don't know whether or not
it even works with InnoDB.

mysqldump, on the other hand, outputs valid SQL which recreates the database.

BTW, if you think mysqldump is running slow, wait until you try
restoring that dump. At 33 hours or so for a backup, it might take you
more than a week to restore, depending on the options you gave
mysqldump for building the output.