[GRLUG] Backing up MySQL

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:00:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Have one server where the DB is getting pretty big (74GB now), .. our normal
> 'mysqldump' is taking 33 hours, so that is pretty much useless now.
>
> What would be a good way to backup the database [InnoDB]? Have seen mentions
> of ibbackup, but it appears to be something proprietary/commercial, ..

"mysqlhotcopy" is the one I've heard the most about.

What I'm looking at myself is setting up a second MySQL server as a
slave to the first. I can break the 'slave' connection and do my
backups off that second server without impacting (or being impacted
by) the performance of the first. I can even take it offline and back
up the underlying table files directly. When I bring it back up, the
master server will flush updates since it went down.

But this is me hacking around in my spare time.