[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - net neutrality

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:56:25 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/u-net-neutrality-rules-effect-november-160334496.html
> The game is pretty simple.  The little
> people want the Internet to be content
> neutral.

So do network operators, oddly enough.

> Internet providers don't.

AT&T and Comcast, no; they have divisions whose profit motives are add
odds with each other; it doesn't do Comcast's ISP side any good to
block Netflix for their customers, and it doesn't do Comcast's video
services side any good to allow a competing service down pipes the
company already owns.

> Does anyone see anything more to the issue
> than that?  i.e., anything that doesn't simply
> mean the providers want to throw more ads
> at you, and decide just what you look at?
> That I can tell, the providers still have the
> last word on all this.  The little people can
> switch providers, but their control ends there.

Don't like it? Pay to get an internet connection from an ISP whose
only interest is moving data around. Or pay for an internet connection
with an SLA. Don't get a cheap, subsidized* internet connection and
then complain about limitations placed on that connections because
they conflict with the source of the subsidy.

* VOIP, VOD, television, ads, etc.

There's no such thing as a free lunch; there's only paid lunch or stolen lunch.