[GRLUG] root on Fedora 15

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu Sep 22 14:48:07 EDT 2011

Well after all my trials with getting my new Lenovo x120e running I've
ended up with Fedora 15, which seems to be working nicely.

One problem tho: I'm used to opening gedit from the command line root
prompt so I can edit root-permission files (don't use vi often enough to
remember the commands). But Fedora 15 won't let me do that.

"
[root at localhost eric]# gedit

(gedit:20435): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session
manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error:
Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read
(g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Terminated
"

No problem, I thought. I'll just log in as root. But Fedora 15 won't let
me do that either. I keep getting "authentication failed" when I try to
do that.

So what's a guy to do? In the time I lost figuring this all out I could
have dug out a vi cheat sheet and done what I needed to do. But I don't
want to do that each time I need to edit a root-owned document.

Thanks.