[GRLUG] apache and mysql run at startup

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Sat Sep 17 23:31:24 EDT 2011

(Running Ubuntu 11.04 with classic Gnome desktop.)

I've installed Ubuntu versions of apache and mysql on 11.04. But they
won't run at startup. I've tried re-installing a couple of times, but
that didn't help.

Stuff I've looked at seems to suggest that the Ubuntu installations are
supposed to be set to run at startup.

According to what I saw at help.ubuntu.com, there's also supposed to be,
in the main menu, a "System->Administration->Services" item for
congfiguring services, but it's missing from mine.

The same page suggests two commands for enabling a service at boot, but
neither works for me:

   eric at x120e:~$ sudo sysv-rc-conf apache on
   [sudo] password for eric:
   sudo: sysv-rc-conf: command not found
   eric at x120e:~$ update-rc.d apache defaults
   update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/apache: file does not exist
   eric at x120e:~$ update-rc.d apache2 defaults
   System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist.
   Died at /usr/sbin/update-rc.d line 57.

Do I have to go in and manually change a config file somewhere to get
apache (and also mysql) to run as services (i.e., start up automatically
when the computer boots)?

There seem to be different and confusing instructions on line as to how
to do this.

Thanks.