[GRLUG] Android Sys Admin & Network Applications

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 23:14:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Dan Pilcheck <pilcheck at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm definetely burned out on the term "app".
> Here's what's in running in my pocket, do you know of a useful tool not listed?
> I've only paid 5$ into the market so far, so most of these are free
> for the taking.
>
> ====================
> Network Tools
>
> Screaming NetTools $3
> - ping, nslookup, whois, dig, rbl check, netcat, a few other useful tools.
>
> DroidSheep
> -Recall firesheep? Session hijacker for Android; More fun than useful.
>
> AndFTP
> -Android FTP client, haven't decided if this or the following is more friendly.
>
> ES File Explorer
> - Great browsing interface. Local & LAN (scan for smb), FTP, dropbox.
>
> PocketCloud
> - RDP, VNC, full-featured. With the free version you can only have one machine
> saved at time. I'll be buying the pro version soon. It's on sale right now.
>
> Network Discovery
> - IP and Port scanner - fast, clean, easy, and very handy!
>
> Speedtest.net
> - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=speedtest.net
>
> Wifi Analyzer
> - Shows signal strength on pretty graphs.
>
> DroidWall
> - Easy firewall, usefuldepending on how paranoid you are.
>
> Network Info II
> - Quick and concise connection info
>
> ConnectBot
> - ssh.
>
> ====================
> Misc. Useful Applications
>
> LazyDroid Web Desktop
> - Web server for your phone, pretty neat and convienent to have phone
> access in a browser tab!
>
> Google Goggles
> - Amazing, tkae a picture of something and it will scour the interwebs
> to find similar object.
> I now know the picture in our office is "Wheat field and Mountains" by Van Gogh.
>
> Spirit Level Plus
> - A 3 axis level, sadly, I use this more than anything, usually to see
> how many matchbooks my roommate put under the pool table.
>
> Gas buddy
> - Gas Price watch for sations around you.
>
> GPS Status & Toolbox
> - Some interesting stats, heading, elevation, speed, lat. and long., etc.
>
> Android Lost
> - A better-than-nothing chance to get your phone back. A good set of
> remote features.
>
> Dolphin Browser
> - The best browser I've used yet, gestures, tabs and features, oh my.
>
> SetCPU $2
> - fine grain control of cpu settings. Overclocking included.
>
> Titanium Backup
> - Complete system backup, Free version only allows 1 full backup at a
> time (scheduled every monday @2am!)
>

> ====================
> Honorable Mention
>
> ProjectINF
> - Top down multi-player shooter. Different characters and attributes.
> [...]

AndChat -- IRC Client. (I don't use it...much. But it's what everyone
recommends, so I have it if I need it.)
Convorsation -- Used during BarcampGR.
CSipSimple -- SIP client. Use it at work to allow my phone to replace
my desk phone. One day, I swear I'll get around to going SIP myself...
G-MoN -- because passively wardriving is fun. Also useful for
diagnosing signal issues for both cell and wifi.
Huddle -- was useful for coordinating in a group context.
IPv6 and More -- Useful network tool. Plus, I'm addicted to IPv6, so
it's nice to have a network tool which supports it.
Irssi Connectbot -- fork of Connectbot with some handy features.
Mumble -- Occasionally useful.
MyTracks -- Occasionally useful.
Xabber -- keeps me signed in to work's XMPP server.
LiquidPhysics -- Animated wallpaper that's cool to look at. And very
practical, since the color reflects my battery life.
DroidDice -- for when I don't have a 3d6 or a d20 on me.
Barcode Scanner -- every time I need one, I don't have one.