[GRLUG] Last Night and Next Week

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 08:10:00 EDT 2011

I want to thank Chris House and Erik VanBergen for taking time out of
their evening to give us a tour of the Metro Health data center last
night. It's an impressive setup, with bandwidth, processing power, and
storage way beyond anything I've personally seen before. This giant
mass of HP Unix, VMWare servers, and virtualized Windows desktops is
diligently monitored by an Ubuntu machine running Nagios. I think it's
obvious which is the critical OS there.

We had a pretty big crowd for this event: about 20 people in all. An
unexpected surprise was the hospital's spacious cafeteria, which
includes a Subway that's open 24x7, and is virtually empty at 8PM. If
we outgrow the Starbucks, we may move the meetings there.

Next Wednesday we'll be socializing in Casey's garage in Jenison (aka
The Warehouse). We'll start at 8PM and run until Casey or his wife
kicks us out. As usual at Casey's, it's BYoB and a snack if you
something to munch on. He also has another zany "can it run Linux"
project for anyone wants to take a crack at it.

--
 Ben Rousch
   brousch at gmail.com
   http://clusterbleep.net/