[GRLUG] tethering

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Mon Sep 12 06:50:43 EDT 2011

On 09/11/2011 08:26 PM, John Wesorick wrote:
> If you aren't rooting your phone, EasyTether is really good. Works
> cross-platform and is only $10 (one time).

Depending a bit on the carrier, most modern Android phones can tether
without any messing around. My old one (Android 1.6, original G1)
required either rooting or software on both the PC and phone in order to
do a USB tether. I went with the software solution even though there
wasn't a Linux version of it. Fortunately, my newer one runs Gingerbread
(forget the version number: 3.0?) and supports both USB modem and wifi
hotspot out of the box. I've used both versions on both Windows and
Linux, and they work fine. I haven't done any speed tests, but 3G or 4G
are quite adequate. When using 2G on my old one, it was all but unusable.

I've heard that some carriers deactivate one or both forms of tethering
on their phones, but T-Mobile does not. (I SERIOUSLY don't want them to
become AT&T!)