[GRLUG] GRF images?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 01:03:31 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 19:25 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>> > May have to convert PNG to GRF images [in a program on demand], .. don't
>> > suppose anyone has ever worked with them?
>>
>> ??? Are you sure you have that right?  GRF isn't an image format.  You
>> can make PNGs [or whatever] from plots, but you can't turn an image into
>> a plot.
>>
> Yep, GRF. Apparently it's not a common format, but it is pretty old (think
> .pcx).

The point Adam's trying to make is that automatically converting a
raster image format like PNG to a logical descriptive language like
GRF makes about as much sense as trying to automatically convert
movies into short poems. It requires a high level of understanding of
the source image; for the results to make any sense, you'll be delving
into AI territory. At best, it may be as "easy" as high-end
OCR--depending on the nature of your source images--but I'm not sure
anyone's released serious work in that field.