[GRLUG] A Moment of Silence

Joseph Workman joseph.workman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:53:36 EDT 2011

Phil - that is funny you bring up that story. IBM iSeries/AS/400/i5
sales/service/administration people used to (and maybe still do) tell a
similar story about a AS/400 that was dry walled into a closet for years...
only to be found when they needed to do a system upgrade.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Philip J. Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Ben Rousch wrote:
>
> > I would like to ask for a moment of silence. I just decommissioned my
> > company's main Samba virtual machine which had been running Ubuntu
> > 6.06 LTS since 2006.
>
> At Sun we regularly heard about machines that had been running for years.
> Solaris is so reliable that smaller customers have forgotten where their
> servers are. One story, perhaps apocryphal, told of a small server that got
> walled up when a room was rearanged and had to be found by breaking through
> the wall board. A field support person once found a machine in a closet that
> was so clogged with dust that the fans were no longer spinning, but it still
> running happily.
>
> I wouldn’t be surprised if AIX or HP/UX were similarly as reliable, but I’m
> pretty sure that SGI’s IRIX couldn’t make similar claims:
>
> A friend of mine (also an ex-Sun person) early on in his new job as VP of
> Eng. at an Internet Bubble Startup* asked the founder, “I’ve noticed that
> the SGI servers panic rather regularly. Has anyone looked into this or
> called SGI?”
>
> Founder, “No need to worry, they just do that. And they were free."
>
> My friend’s head then exploded.
>

> Phil
>
> *Bigfoot for those of you with long memories.

> believed to be clean.

Joseph Workman
C.616.734.1411