[GRLUG] FAIL!!! Xfinity mobile wireless

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Sep 5 11:23:02 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 10:09 -0400, Casey DuBois wrote:
> I wasn't really expecting to get good 4G coverage for a year or two
> but the 3G was WAY too slow for my taste, here's some of the download
> speeds I got with the Xfinity: 0.16, 0.49, 0.21, 0.04, 0.22Mbps PRETTY
> USELESS... I just ran speed test @ 2.66Mbps on my ATT 3G (3.84Mbps
> highest recorded). Depending on the tower I've been getting 1.5 - 3.84
> on the ATT 3G and get good coverage so I'm comfortable with these
> numbers but don't like ATT.

> Can any Verizon 3G users give me speed comparisons?

I don't have a 3G PC device; and a phone's through-put isn't really
comparable.

But using my father's 3G USB device - and this is in the middle of
telco-no-where up in the 49343 zip-code - I can see 1.5Mbps pretty
consistently.  On the Beaver [when I was in one of the spots that
actually got VZ coverage] I saw ~768Kbps [which feels still pretty
usable me; generally anything about 512Kbps and I feel it doesn't
interfere with doing-work].  I haven't tested anything other than a
phone in 49503/49505 recently [not since the VZ back-haul upgrades this
string].

Several locals told me that AT&T has the best coverage on the Beaver.