[GRLUG] error: invalid arch independent ELF magic

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu Sep 1 12:35:52 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 15:13 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 14:05 -0400, Ben Rousch wrote:
> > You might want to ask for help on the Ubuntu Michigan mailing list. I
> > know there are a few x120e owners (in the Detroit area) on that list.

Update:

I got some good help on the ubuntu-us-mi page.

Turns out the x120e has an "EFI" bios and this requires that there be a
separate /boot partition that is formatted with FAT.  So that's why my
efforts to install with '/' partition and '/home' partition kept
generating the error message.

It would be nice if the 11.04 install checked for this and warned if the
right partition is not there. If you let the installer handle all the
partitioning, it takes care of it. But if you want to do some of your
own partitioning (eg, a separate /home partition) or use existing
partitioning, there's nothing in the installer that catches the
missing /boot partition. This would mean that somehow the installer
would have to recognize the EFI BIOS, but my guess is it would have to
be doing that anyway.

Apropos frustration with Linux compared to frustration with M$: A while
back in the "Linux use" thread I mentioned the bomb that M$ inserted in
Win7 SP1 that destroys backward compatibility with ADO libraries,
creating extreme grief in the VB/VBA developing community. This thread
(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/b035ff6c-dab8-4a80-8577-14f31752de4f) runs from February of this year till now with a hundred or more entries and cries to M$ for relief. Apparently the problem was already seen last year in the testing phase, but M$ did nothing about it. Not till mid March did they even post anything about it, and this only a complex workaround (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2517589).

One week till Ohio LinuxFest.