[GRLUG] Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) released!!

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Oct 27 08:31:32 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:45:47PM -0400, Josh Yavor wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 12:40 PM, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:54:27AM -0400, Ben Rousch wrote:
> >[snip]
> >>     * For the Unity-haters, you can install Gnome Shell with a simple
> >>'sudo apt-get install gnome-shell'
> >[snip]
> >
> >Wait...isn't "Unity" just what Ubuntu calls the interface for GNOME 3.x?
> >Other than Ubuntu-tweakiness, is it radically different?
> >
> >[google-google-google]  Hmm...  Unity was originally built on GNOME 2.x
> >while it will (is now?) be built on GNOME 3.x.  Huh.  It doesn't *look*
> >all that different.
> I think the best way to understand the difference is to compare
> Fedora 15 to Ubuntu 11.x with Unity. I never really understood the
> difference until I threw F15 into a VM and experienced the
> differences. Granted, I'm not sure what distro-specific tweaks (if
> any) are made on Fedora.

I installed Fedora 15 in a VM to check out GNOME 3.  Disaster.
Terrible.  Apparently it needs more hardware than I can give it in a VM,
which is odd given my machine's specs.  However, GNOME 3 is now in
Debian Sid so I installed Sid into a VM.  I rather like GNOME 3's
interface (especially the dark theme in Debian).  I *hate* icons on the
desktop.  It's a very clean interface—except for the app selector.  Now
that's wack.  It is certainly different from Unity.  It's tempting...
--
john-thomas
------