[GRLUG] Netflix on Linux?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:17:01 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM, David Wise <davidn.wise at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well as far as I have seen here, my original concern (Netflix on Linux,
> which is specifically linux related) has been addressed as a no-go until
> some point in the future (Netflix creates a plugin for some browser and/or
> switches to HTML5). Bummer. I was really hoping I could convince the wife to
> let me switch our machine. Guess I just need to clone my Win7 drive and keep
> playing with Linux in VMs for the time being.
>
> Thanks anyway guys. I do appreciate the effort to help me figure this out.

I spent a *lot* of time playing with Xen over the weekend. If you use
a system with an IOMMU, then you can dedicate any number of PCI and
PCIe devices to a VM...which means you could dedicate a video card to
a Windows VM. That'd let you keep a Linux host, have a Windows VM, and
even have the Windows VM get 3D graphics acceleration.

I can't test this yet, as it turns out that my system (which has an
AMD Phenom 9650) doesn't have an IOMMU.