[GRLUG] Replacement for BIOS ROM could lock Linux OS off of PC?

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 11 13:08:41 EDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
>From: Joseph VanDerStelt <joseph.vanderstelt at gmail.com>
>Sent: Oct 11, 2011 2:29 AM
>To: "GRLUG, List" <grlug at grlug.org>
>Subject: [GRLUG] Replacement for BIOS ROM could lock Linux OS off of PC?
>
>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26341356-Windows-8-Secure-Boot-Would-Exclude-Linux
>
>Has anyone seen information on this?

I tend to think the threat is being blown out of proportion.  Sure - it *could* be used that way, but it'd be a pretty major flexibility killer for manufacturers to lock their computers (without a BIOS control to disable it or giving you signing keys) so they could only run one operating system.  I see it as especially unlikely with Chrome OS and WebOS working on breaking into the preloaded-OS market.  Even if the majority do that, there are bound to be manufacturers that will spring up with a "disable" switch for it.  So my thought on it is "wait and see how manufacturers shoot themselves in their feet" before getting in a media-hyped uproar.

- Kyle