[GRLUG] Lubuntu Breathes New Life into Your Netbook

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:14:02 EDT 2011

I just installed LXDE on my Gentoo box. (Background build, but it
still went very fast; the 31 packages it needed to install all built
from source in under 20 minutes)

First impression: The placement of UI and controls looks and feels a
lot like Windows XP, but without cartoony colors. Mod4-R triggers the
Run dialog. Mod4-E opens up PCManFM, which looks like an Explorer
clone. Ctrl-Shift-Esc, sadly, doesn't bring up a Task Manager
workalike. Alt-Space brings up the window's system menu, allowing
things like maximize, minimize, move to a different desktop...

Snap judgement: LXDE will be great for any of your family members who
are still accustomed to Windows XP, and you want to migrate them to
Linux.

I'll stick with LXDE for the day; they keyboard shortcuts will be
familiar enough that I'll be as productive as I'd be on my Windows
workstation at the office.

(Hm. I should take Kevin's advice and find pytiler. Tiling
functionality on top of this interface is likely to be very productive
for me.)