[GRLUG] Power line network adapters

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Oct 3 10:33:53 EDT 2011

At 11:26 AM 10/2/2011, you wrote:
>The office in the basement is on the other side of the house from the
>cable modem and router.

Ben,

There is always a way to run a cable, .. you can follow heating
ducts, for example (since there is no AC power in the network cables
are low power, you could even run them *in* ductwork but be very
careful insulating where the enter/exit), .. plumbing, .. sometimes
even running around the outside of the house (though network cables
would have to be inside conduit as most are not weather rated).

Suggestion - stop by Harbor Freight and for less than $20 (look for a
20% off coupon - they are everywhere), get yourself a set of
fiberglass 'fishing poles' used for pulling wire & cabling. They come
in 2' or 3' sections, and screw together to make a flexible pole that
is easy to run horizontally. A fish tape is only useful in a conduit
- it is too flexible for other applications.

Another option is to get a 2' flexible drill bit, cut a hole in an
interior wall (use a low-voltage frame to hold the box cover), drill
a hole down through the bottom of the wall and also through the
ceiling downstairs (you can 'feel' for anything in the way like an
electrical box); from that small hole, fish wires to the other end of
the basement following the joist bays and support beams. Might
require a small hole along the way where you encounter blockages or
corners - check at a home store for 'access panel covers' that snap
in and can be painted.

I do know where you're coming from - when we purchased this house
many years ago it came with a finished drywall ceiling on the lower
level. It took me a few tries to get 'paths' established, but I have
pulled many power runs, cable, and network since then (from one to
the other above the drywall, following the ductwork chase). The first
time I also pulled in lengths of clothsline for pull ropes.

>Wifi(g) is quite weak down there.

The other option is to get larger antennas for your WiFi gear - just
be sure to get units with external antenna connectors.

>I don't know much about the wireless standards.  I guess I could get an N
>router then a wireless card for the server. None of my laptops support
>N, would this work like b/g did where if there is a device on the
>router using the slower service then the whole router would slow?

N would only be required if you want to stream 1080p video, .. else
b/g is just fine.

         Lee