[GRLUG] Power line network adapters

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Oct 3 06:24:45 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 23:03 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> Even if you're not using your landline phone wiring, that wiring
> should still be good enough to pass a modicum of data around at good
> speed.

+1

> If you've got a typical home wiring setup with two phone lines
> going to multiple jacks, you could probably use some kind of
> shared-bus tech to pass data around, with automatic channel bonding
> across the working pairs. I believe RJ11 was typically limited to
> three pair, but I've rarely seen homes wired up for more than two.

I have, after ~20 years of IT, have no clue what anyone means when they
say RJ11  I just assume they mean silver-satin two-pair [inner / outer].
Which is enough to carry ethernet.

If you are in a really old house beware of power-over-RJ which puts ~5-6
volts on one of the pairs.  That comes from a little transformer
attached to a rafter somewhere and attached to the line - finding them
can be fun.

> (The ones wired up for more, I've generally been an occupant...and may
> have been one of the ones to make them that way.)

+1.  RJ12 is often used to mean 3 pair / 6 conductor.