[GRLUG] Power line network adapters

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 12:04:58 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with these?  I'd like to put my server down
> in the basement but the basement is finished and I don't know how to
> run cable through finished walls with insulation then through a
> finished basement ceiling.  So seeing that Belkin has a 50% off sale,
> I can get a power line adapter set for $50.  Just wondering if these
> work well, or even just O.K.

If they have similar behavior to X-10 units, then they'll only work on
the same phase. (You've got two phases coming in. Each 120V circuit
uses only one of these phases. To get a 220V circuit, you use both
phases.)

You'll obviously also experience signal degradation the farther the
signal has to travel, so keeping it on the same circuit would be
ideal.

These are just some educated guess/extrapolations. I haven't used them myself.